The Child Guidance Guild was founded in 1958 by a group of community volunteers dedicated to raising funds in support of the Henrietta Weill Memorial Child Guidance Clinic, a non-profit mental health agency for children and families. With more than 200 active and sustaining members, the Guild has conducted many activities over the years. After successfully operating a tea room for several years, volunteers began work on a plan to serve formal lunches. In 1966, the Guild acquired the elegant Barlow House and nurtured it to become what we know today as Guild House.
Located at 1905 18th Street, Guild House was constructed in 1909 and represents one of the best examples of early craftsman architecture in Bakersfield. Tiffany glass chandeliers and sidelights which adorn the home are original. Welcoming visitors to Guild House, the dragon-carved fireplace still displays its original blue tiles, which were custom designed by Gump’s of San Francisco. In 1992, Guild House was placed on the Register of Historic Places by the Bakersfield Historic Preservation Commission.